Sometimes you might be surprised that some transactions you expected to see in your Budget register are not visible. There might be a couple of reasons for it.
Please go through the list below carefully, even if it sounds obvious. We have helped a lot of customers with this list and they were all equally surprised as to how basic the problem was.
Please double-check the following:
- Is the transaction you've expected to see within the budget period? Usually budgets are setup on monthly basis, e.g. from 1st day of the month to the last. The transaction you expected to see could be, for example, with a date of nth day of the previous month. If your budget started in the past, that transaction might still affect the budget allowance (if Rollover is enabled), but it won't be visible in the Budget register as by default it only displays transactions from current budget period. Read here to learn how to navigate the budget period timeline.
- Does the transaction you've expected to see have a proper category assigned? Only transactions that have the category you set the budget to monitor will appear in the budget register.
- Is the transaction you've expected to see created inside the account you've set the budget to monitor?
- Did you set the budget to require one or more transaction tags? If yes, your transactions needs to have at least one of those tags.
If the above does not help, try the following:
- Try changing the budget filters a little to see if your transaction appears. It's done exactly the same way as when changing account filters.
- Try creating the transaction right from the Budget register. It's no different than creating the transaction in the usual way (from the Account register) apart from the fact that you're offered only the accounts and categories that the budget monitors. Remember to add a tag if your budget requires one! Now check if this transaction appears in the budget. If yes - please go back to your Account register and compare the two transactions.
If none of the above help, please let us know as the reason might lie somewhere else. But those steps have helped a lot of customers so there are high chances it'll help you as well.